Taken from Institute for Self-Reliant Living and Pam Stegner's Preparedness 101 classes. This version of the Quiz is the more extensive one, and has not been done in it's entirety on the radio yet. This quiz will help you determine how prepared you are. The thinking behind this Quiz is to become self-sufficient without being dependent on care from the government or others. But that you can care for yourself and those who depend on you. If you don't know the answer to the question, check "No." Scores are provided at the end of the quiz. Don't peek and be honest, the quiz is only for you to rate yourself against yourself. There are no right or wrong answers, regardless of where you are on the scale of preparedness, the thing is to begin. And the fact that you are taking this quiz means that you are interested in preparedness!
1. I own a battery or solar-powered AM/FM/Shortwave radio that has side band capabilities.
2. I own a 2-way radio system, either a CB, Family Radio Service, or General Mobile Radio Service.
3. Everyone in my family has a cell phone.
4. I have stockpiled 30 days worth of canned foods for everyone in my family.
5. I have 90 days worth of meals ready to eat, dehydrated food or a combination of both.
6. I have 90 days worth of staples and condiments.
7. I have a one-year, long-term food storage plan stockpiled for every one in my family. And this food
is properly stored. (If not properly stored this one does not count.
8. I rotate food, so that I am using and replenishing my long term storage food.
9. I practice once-a-month buying or buy from a food coop.
10. I have a backup cooking system, i.e., a Coleman cook stove or outdoor grill.
11. I have products stored to treat unclean water, i.e., bleach, iodine, aerobic oxygen, etc.LOCATION
12. I have a non-electric water purification system capable of 24 gallons a day.
13. I have a small hand held non-electric water purification system.
14. I have a 72 hr. supply of drinking water stored in my home.
15. I have a 2 week supply of water stored on my property.
16. I have 60 day supply of water stored on my property.
17. I have a relocation plan in the event of a disaster.EMERGENCY SAFETY & FIRE STARTERS
18. I know my neighbors and know I could count on them in an emergency.
19. I have down comforter or extra blankets for every bed in my home.
20. I own fire extinguishers and know how to use them.
21. I have the appropriate fuel safely store.
22. I have carbon monoxide detectors for use in an emergency.
23. I have waterproof matches.
24. I have other fire starters.
25. I know first aid (CPR, Bleeding Control, Fracture splinting, vital signs)
26. Everyone in my family has a pair of shoes that can easily be slipped on, in case of quick evacuation.
(I bet you are wondering about this one! If there is a fire the first thing that happens is glass breaks,
and it makes it a lot easier to get the heck out of dodge if you have shoes on when running over glass!)
27. I have a 2 sleeping bags, cold weather and summer, for every member of my family.ALTERNATIVE ENERGY
28. I have smoke detectors installed in my home.
29. I have backup fuel, such as wood, propane, gasoline, etc.
30. I have a backup heating system, fire place, propane (etc.) space heater, wood burning stove, etc.
31. I have flash lights in every bedroom.
32. I have backup lighting, kerosene lamp, Coleman lamp, etc., in the event of a multi-day emergency.
33. I have emergency long burning candles.
34. I have extra batteries, enough to light all my flash lights for 60 days. And to play my
shortwave/AM/FM radio for 60 days.
35. I own a generator and know how to use it in an emergency.
36. My home is completely off the grid. (You just made an A on this Quiz!)
37. I have $1,000 in emergency cash. It is tucked away where I have 24 hr. access to it, even if theHEALTH
electricity is off.
38. I have an Emergency Fund with at least 3 months worth of living expenses in it.
39. I have no consumer debt, including car loans.
40. I have at least 20 % of my portfolio in precious metals.
41. I am self-employed.
42. I have a chemical or organic toilet. (and I know how to use it!)HOME SECURITY
43. I have a 30 day stockpile of prescription medications.
44. I have a 60 day stockpile of prescription medications.
45. I have a 60 day stockpile of over-the-counter medications.
46. I take vitamin, mineral and herbal supplements daily.
47. I exercise routinely in order to maintain my physical health.
48. I eat an organic health food diet, only organic meat, no hormones.
49. I own a dog (the bigger and meaner looking the better).
50. My yard is fenced.
51. I have deadbolts on my doors and all my windows have locks.
52. I have a burglar alarm system and activate it before going to bed each night.
53. I own a gun and I know how to use it.
54. I own at least a 1000 rounds of ammunition for every gun in my home.
55. I have a written medical emergency response plan.
56. I have a written home invasion plan (don't want to shot the kids and wife!) And this includes an
outside perimeter with booby traps.
57. I have communicated these plans to my family and drilled them on the execution.
58. I have established a safe room in my house.
Count YES answers as one.
How Prepared Are You? Score Yourself.
The scoring below will give you an indication of your level of preparedness so you are not reliant
on the government. If your scores are low, don't worry. If you listen to Preparedness Now and study
my web site in depth you can raise your score dramatically in a few months.
Prepared and Self-Reliant. You may have some areas you still need to address, but you have achieved
what hardly anyone every does! Count yourself among the likes of Noah! You are independent with will
minimal dependence on external infrastructures.
Almost Prepared and Self-Reliant. You are well on your way1 You have taken major steps to obtain
independence and just need to address those areas where you are still to dependent on outside
infrastructures and systems.
Moving toward Preparedness. You are at least aware of self-reliance and emergency preparedness issues.
You have taken some steps to free of yourself of external dependencies. What you need now is a plan and the
know-how to go all the way.
Too Dependent. You are still more dependent on the system than you need to be. You are no different
than millions of others who are dependent on others in a crisis.
Dangerously Dependent. You are not totally dependent, but you are close. If you experience a crisis,
your lifestyle will be seriously disrupted.
Totally Dependent. You are totally dependent on things outside your control for your own physical
well-being. You are just an emergency away from personal disaster. ADDITION: Give yourself 5 points if you have a gas mask and give yourself another
5 points if you have MOP gear.